BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
The B.S.Ch.E. requires successful completion of 132 credit hours. The Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering requires 96 - 100 credits in General Math and Science courses and Chemical Engineering Core and focus area courses. Electives may be chosen from the Course Catalog to satisfy the additional department requirements for breadth or focus area. The General Announcements identify the University Distribution Requirements.
Detailed course descriptions and prerequisites for each class are available through the online course schedule. Students should pay particular attention to the co-requisites and prerequisites for each course to ensure that these are met prior to attempting to register for courses.
The official degree and course requirements are those found in the General Announcements. Students having questions or concerns about their requirements and course selections should seek advice from their Chemical Engineering Faculty Advisor.
General Math and Science Courses
Chemistry (18 hours required)
- CHEM 121/123 General Chemistry I / General Chemistry Lab I OR CHEM 151/153 Honors Chemistry I / Honors Chemistry Laboratory I
- CHEM 122/124 General Chemistry II / General Chemistry Lab II OR CHEM 152/154 Honors Chemistry II / Honors Chemistry Laboratory II
- CHEM 211/213 Organic Chemistry I / Organic Chemistry Discussion
- CHEM 217 OR CHEM 215 Organic Chemistry Lab
Two of the following:
- CHEM 212 Organic Chemistry II
- CHEM 311 Physical Chemistry I
- CHEM 312 Physical Chemistry II
Math (15 hours required)
- MATH 101 Single Variable Calculus I
- MATH 102 Single Variable Calculus II
- MATH 211 Ordinary Differential Equations and Linear Algebra
- MATH 212 Multivariable Calculus
- MATH 381 Introduction to Partial Differential Equations OR CAAM 336 Differential Equations in Science and Engineering
Physics (7 hours required)
- PHYS 101/103 Mechanics (with Lab) / Mechanics Discussion OR PHYS 111 Mechanics with Laboratory
- PHYS 102/104 Electricity and Magnetism / E&M Discussion OR PHYS 112 Electricity and Magnetism with Laboratory
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Core Courses
Students must complete the following core courses: (41 credit hours required)
- CHBE 301 Chemical Engineering Fundamentals
- CHBE 303 Computer Programming in Chemical Engineering
- CHBE 305 Computational Methods for Chemical Engineers
- CHBE 310 Fundamentals of Biomolecular Engineering
- CHBE 343 Chemical Engineering Lab I
- CHBE 350 Process Safety
- CHBE 390 Kinetics and Reactor Design
- CHBE 401 and CHBE 402 Transport Phenomena I and II
- CHBE 403 Design Fundamentals
- CHBE 404 Chemical Engineering Design
- CHBE 411 and CHBE 412 Thermodynamics I and II
- CHBE 443 Chemical Engineering Lab II
- CHBE 470 Process Dynamics and Control
Breadth and Specialization Areas
Click on the desired breadth or specialization area to be taken to a list of required and approved courses.
Breadth (12 credit hours required)
Students who select this option will be required to take course electives in at least two other engineering disciplines to satisfy this requirement. Click HERE to see approved courses for this option.
Specialization Areas (15 credit hours required)
Instead of the engineering breadth option, students may use their electives to create a focus, or concentration, area in one of the following disciplines:
Click on the name of a specialization area to see the requirements for that option.