group of department alumni and faculty, serving an advisory role to Rice
Chemical Engineering department, have been meeting since January 2009 to
discuss ways to assist the department faculty, students, and provide networking
opportunities for them and alumni.
charter of the Rice Chemical Engineering Alumni Advisory Board is to advise the
Rice Chemical Engineering department on short-term and long-term goals, provide
student mentoring, and alumni networking opportunities with the ultimate goal
to attract and nurture the best students and faculty to the field of Chemical
Engineering at Rice University. The Alumni board is divided into four subcommittees and the main functions include helping with the department newsletter, sponsoring department seminars, student career mentoring, and fostering alumni, faculty, and student networking opportunities.
The Networking Subcommittee is dedicated to creating opportunities for alumni, faculty and students to interact with one another. A major avenue by which this is accomplished is through the planning of formal networking events throughout the year, such as the Fall Networking Lecture & Dinner as well as the Chevron Energy Lecture in the spring. Together with the support of the ChBE Department, the undergraduate AIChE chapter and the ChBE Graduate Student Association, the subcommittee promotes opportunities for student, alumni, and faculty engagement.
- Lead and plan events (e.g., networking dinner) with the ChBE Graduate Student Association (GSA) and the AIChE student chapter
- Collaborate with the university organizations (e.g., centennial organizations) for event planning
- Work with alumni affairs to send out information about events
- Coordinate fundraising from corporate sponsors
- Develop ideas for new events
- Work to set up an annual newsletter publication frequency
- Coordinate collection of content from committee, faculty, other alumni, etc.
- Work with the department for newsletter execution
- Work with alumni affairs for newsletter distribution
- Coordinate professional excellence award to be presented at the annual fall event
Mentoring (Chair: Martiel Luther)
- Foster and facilitate AIChE student chapter and ChBE GSA goals to bring students together with motivated alumni for mentoring activities. Also includes engaging alumni and developing ideas for short-term mentoring activities.
- Support and participate in student AIChE chapter and ChBE GSA events to prepare students for job interviews and other types of engagements with potential employers.
Corporate and Development (Chair: John Cliver)
Our goals are to work to enhance long-term relationships between the Rice ChBE Department and industry to the mutual benefit of the department and the companies who can gain from what the department has to offer. We intend to do this through growth of the alumni advisory committee's network, and through communication with alumni in industry.
- Work to increase breadth and depth of recruiting of CHBE undergrads and grads
- Develop ideas on how to expose students to a breadth of career opportunities
How can ChBE alumni be involved?
- Volunteer to mentor undergraduate and graduate students – contact email@example.com
- Inform faculty of funding opportunities for research – See faculty
weblinks under faculty biographies
- Inform faculty of chemical industry awards
for faculty and students - contact Dr. Walter
- Help with funding for department alumni chairs for faculty through
the Alumni Foundation - contact Dr. Olina
- Help with Department Accreditation - contact Dr. Ken Cox and Dr.
- Provide contacts for industry seminar speakers with relevance to
current industrial issues – contact firstname.lastname@example.org
and contribute to courses in safety, process safety and the design course
– contact Dr. Ken Cox
to future editions of the ChBE department newsletter – contact email@example.com