Rice University logoGeorge R. Brown School of Engineering
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering


MChE Program Frequently Asked Questions


What is the application deadline?    

The regular deadline for Fall admission is December 31st of the previous calendar year to which you wish to enter the program. Late applications may be considered until April 15th for the Fall semester. The department does not typically offer Spring admissions. Return to top   

What is required for application?

An application for graduate study should include the completed online application form, the application fee, unofficial transcripts from each university attended (once an applicant is offered admission, the department will then require an official transcript.), at least three letters of recommendation, and writing samples (statement of purpose, resume, etc.). Scores of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL or IELTS) are required.  Return to top   

Is there an application fee?

The application fee is $85.00. The department does not offer fee waivers.  Return to top 

What is the minimum GPA requirement?

Applicants should have at least a 3.0 GPA out of a 4.0 scale per Rice University policy.  Return to top 

What are the GRE requirements?

The scores must not be more than five years old. An unofficial copy of scores may be uploaded in the Supporting Documents section of the application. The ETS Rice University code is 6609 and the Chemical Engineering Code is 1001 It is important that you explicitly call our attention to any discrepancies that might occur between your name as reported on your application forms and as recorded on your GRE scores. Your scores will be evaluated by the Graduate Recruiting Committee. As a note to foreign applicants, we realize that language and cultural differences may affect the GRE scores of foreign students, particularly those whose native language is not English. This is taken into consideration when such students' applications are evaluated. The scores are nevertheless required and must come directly from the Educational Testing Service. Return to top  

Is there a minimum TOEFL score that I must have?

Applicants who are foreign nationals or whose native language is not English must take either the TOEFL or IELTS test and must score at least 90 on the iBT TOEFL or at least 600 on the paper-based TOEFL. For those students who choose to take the IELTS in lieu of TOEFL, the minimum score is 7.  Return to top 

Can I get a TOEFL/IELTS waiver?

Prospective students who have or will receive a degree from a university in which English is the official language of communication may be granted a waiver. The program reserves the right to further determine language proficiency via a personal interview (such as Skype).  Return to top 

May I submit supplemental materials with my application?

In the application section titled “Supplemental Information” is where you can briefly describe your intended plan of study or give titles of any articles or publications you may have. You may also upload a detailed statement of purpose, CV, or other supplemental documents in the “supporting documents” section. Do not send any application material by mail. Upload all files to the online application.  Return to top 

Who should prepare the letters of recommendation?

Recommendations should be prepared by individuals who can attest to your abilities. These people should be former professors or academic advisers.  Return to top 

Is financial aid available?

Rice does not offer financial aid for the professional masters program.  Return to top 

Does the program accept transferred credit?

No transfer credits are allowed.  Return to top 

Do I need to purchase Rice University health insurance?

All Rice students are required to have health insurance. Health coverage may be purchased through the university plan or through Rice’s alternative health insurance plan. If you are covered by another policy you must fill out the Medical Insurance Waiver. For more information please visit http://studenthealthinsurance.rice.edu/  Return to top

What is the cost of Rice University Health Insurance?

For up to date information on insurance rates please visit http://studenthealthinsurance.rice.edu/rates/  Return to top 

When does Rice’s health insurance coverage begin?

Coverage begins by mid August, provided your paperwork is submitted before August 15. For more information please visit http://studenthealthinsurance.rice.edu/  Return to top 

 When do I register for courses?

Registration for new students begins during orientation week via ESTHER. Your ESTHER Login letter will be sent from graduate@rice.edu to the email address provided on your application once you’re processed.  Return to top 

When is tuition due? 

When new incoming students register during orientation week, the cashier’s office will then bill for tuition and fees. Rice University offers a payment plan that is designed to enable students to pay over the course of the semester. For more information please visit cashier.rice.edu.  Return to top 

What is the residency requirement?

A full time graduate student must register for at least 9 credit hours each semester to fulfill the residency requirement. Return to top

Students enrolled in professional master's programs in science and engineering may fulfill the residency requirement by completing at least one full fall or spring semester with part-time enrollment (at least 3 credit hours). This does not affect any other degree requirements: the total number of hours required to complete the degree, the limits on transfer credit, etc. remain the same. In addition, the time-to-degree limit of 5 years from time of initial enrollment remains the same.  Return to top 

Can I pursue a PhD after obtaining my Professional Science Master’s?

Admission into a professional program is granted separately from admission into a research or thesis program. Professional degree programs terminate when the degree is awarded. Students who wish to continue graduate study after completing a professional program must apply for admission into a research program.  Return to top

For additional information please consult the General Announcements

    Return to top