Admissions to the PhD and MChE Programs
We are pleased that you are considering the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at Rice University for your graduate study.
To be considered for admission into our graduate programs, you must complete our online application. All documents must be submitted electronically -- do not mail hard copies to the department. Unofficial test scores and transcripts may be submitted for the application process. Official copies will be requested upon an admission offer to our program.
Prospective students must electronically submit the following:
- completed online graduate application form;
- unofficial transcripts of grades from all undergraduate and graduate schools attended;
- at least three letters of recommendation from teachers or advisors;
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores (students only have to take the general test; an advanced GRE test is not required);
- TOEFL scores if the applicant's native language is not English (a TOEFL score of 600 or higher on the paper test or 90 or higher on the iBT version is required for admission to Rice), or IELTS score in lieu of TOEFL (an IELTS score of 7 or greater is required) and;
- an application fee of $85.00.
We must receive all items listed above before your application is complete, however the admissions committee may elect to begin reviews with missing recommendations. The committee will contact you if more information is required. The application deadline for fall admission is December 31. Late applications will not be accepted or considered.
When selecting students for admission to our graduate program, all available material is carefully evaluated. However, the following criteria are particularly important:
- Academic record (courses and grades);
- Evaluations by teachers and research advisors;
- Scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE);
- The student's own statement of goals, aspirations and special interests.
The selection process is very competitive and we are able to offer admission to only a small fraction of the hundreds who apply to our program every year.
The deadline for all degree applications is December 31, but late applications for the MChE degree will be accepted until April 15. Candidates who miss the deadline place themselves in a less competitive position.