Rice University logoGeorge R. Brown School of Engineering
 
Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
 
 

ABOUT US

Introduction  



In 1921, shortly after the arrival of A. J. Hartsook, hired as instructor of industrial chemistry, Chemical Engineering became an independent program. Recently renamed Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, the department has grown in strength, vitality and scope, and now has 18 faculty members. Five faculty members have their primary appointments in the Bioengineering, Chemistry, and Civil and Environmental Engineering departments.

Left to right: Pic 1: Image of Uncle Jupe, the sculpting on the front of the Abercrombie Building. Pic 2: Dr. Lisa Biswal reviewing lab research on a computer in her lab. Pic 3: Five quantum dots in colors from red to violet. Pic 4: Dr. Michael Wong writing on a white board set up outside atop of the sculpture title ,"45, 90, 180" in the Engineering Quad

The faculty members of our department are dedicated to excellence in research and education. They are educators, scholars, counselors, and friends. State-of-the-art equipment, modern laboratories and support facilities help maintain Rice’s nationally and internationally recognized position of excellence in the chemical engineering community.

To provide direction to its growth and to foster an interdisciplinary research environment, Rice has formed several institutes and centers. Our department is a major participant in these research endeavors. Several chemical engineering faculty members play active roles in the Center for Biological and Environmental Nanotechnology (CBEN), the Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology (CNST), the The Shell Center for Sustainability (SCS), the Institute of Biosciences and Bioengineering (IBB), and the Energy and Environment Initiative. Our department also has strong interactions with the Ken Kennedy Institute for Information Technology (K2I).