In 1921, shortly after the arrival of A. J. Hartsook, hired as instructor of industrial chemistry, Chemical Engineering became an independent program. Over the years, the department has grown in strength, vitality and scope, and now has 26 faculty members. Eleven faculty members have their primary appointments in the Departments of Bioengineering, Biosciences, Chemistry, Civil and Environmental Engineering and Materials Science and NanoEngineering.
Our faculty are dedicated to excellence in research and education. They are educators, scholars, counselors and friends. State-of-the-art equipment, modern laboratories and support facilities help maintain Rice’s nationally and internationally recognized position of excellence in the chemical engineering community.
To provide direction to its growth and to foster an interdisciplinary research environment, Rice has formed several institutes and centers. The Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering is a major participant in these research endeavors. Several of our faculty members play active roles in the Smalley Curl Institute, the The Shell Center for Sustainability (SCS), the Institute of Biosciences and Bioengineering (IBB) and the Energy and Environment Initiative. The department also has strong interactions with the Ken Kennedy Institute for Information Technology (K2I).