Alumni Advisory Committee
A group of department alumni and faculty, serving an advisory role to Rice Chemical Engineering department, have been meeting since January 2009 to discuss ways to assist the department faculty, students, and provide networking opportunities for them and alumni.
The charter of the Rice Chemical Engineering Alumni Advisory Committee is to advise the Rice Chemical Engineering department on short-term and long-term goals, provide student mentoring, and alumni networking opportunities with the ultimate goal to attract and nurture the best students and faculty to the field of Chemical Engineering at Rice University. The Alumni Committee is divided into five subcommittees and the main functions include fostering alumni, faculty, and student networking opportunities, sponsoring department seminars, helping with the department newsletter, and mentoring students for career and professional success.
Committee Chair: Prachi Chapman
- Volunteer to mentor undergraduate and graduate students
- Contribute to future editions of the department newsletter
- Help students prepare for recruitment activities
We are always looking or enthusiastic alumni to join our committee who want to give back to Rice ChBE undergrads, graduate students, and the ChBE department. Our members choose the level of involvement they want in each of our focus areas where any level of help is always appreciated!
Contact the current Alumni Advisory Committee Chair if you are interested in getting involved!
Networking and Events
Chair: Will Kasper
The Networking subcommittee is dedicated to creating opportunities for alumni, faculty and students to interact with one another. A major avenue by which this is accomplished is through the planning of formal networking events throughout the year, such as the Fall Networking Lecture and Dinner as well as the Chevron Energy Lecture in the spring. Together with the support of the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, the undergraduate chapter of AIChE and the CHBE Graduate Student Association, the subcommittee promotes opportunities for student, alumni, and faculty engagement.
- Lead, plan and execute networking events with the ChBE Graduate Student Association (GSA) and the AIChE student chapter
- Collaborate with the university organizations (e.g., centennial organizations) for event planning
- Work with the Office of Alumni Affairs and other university organizations to plan and publicize events
- Coordinate fundraising from corporate sponsors
- Develop ideas for new events to foster alumni, student and faculty networking
Chair: Chuck Hewell
- Publish the annual department newsletter, the Catalyst
- Coordinate content compilation from faculty, alumni board and other alumni
- Engage the department and the Office of Alumni Affairs for newsletter execution and distribution
Chair: Chuck Hewell
- Foster and facilitate AIChE student chapter and ChBE GSA goals to bring students together with motivated alumni for mentoring activities
- Engage alumni to develop ideas for short-term mentoring
- Support and participate in student AIChE chapter and ChBE GSA events to prepare students for job interviews and other types of engagements with potential employers
Chair: John Cliver
- Coordinate Professional Excellence Award to be presented to a faculty member annually at the fall networking event
Chair: Charlie Meyer
- Coordinate updates to Alumni section of ChBE website
- Maintain archive of committee records and material