Selection of PhD Advisor
Students are admitted to the PhD program in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering — not to the research groups of individual faculty.
Below are the steps in selecting your advisor:
- During your first semester, attend seminar series where faculty discuss their research programs
- Students then discuss possible research projects with individual faculty
- Students select their top three choices from at least three distinctive faculty presenters
- A final decision on research topic assignments is made during a departmental faculty meeting
- Entering students normally affiliate with a research group before the beginning of their second semester, at which time work on the research project begins
About four to five years of study are normally necessary to complete the Ph.D. degree requirements at Rice University. Graduate students are expected to assume maximum responsibility for their own progress and to develop habits of inquiry that will ensure continuing intellectual development throughout their careers.
Graduate Studies Committee
The Graduate Studies Committee (GSC) assists and advises students, coordinates and updates the department graduate degree requirements and procedures, and reviews student petitions.
Students may petition the GSC for exceptions to academic and departmental requirements (course substitution, waivers, etc).
2020-21 ChBE Graduate Committee Advisors
- Frederick C. MacKintosh, Chair
- S. Lisa Biswal
- Xue (Sherry) Gao
- Aditya Mohite
- Dilip Asthagiri
- Barbara Windish
- Haotian Wang
Petitions are submitted in writing by emailing the GSC at firstname.lastname@example.org.