The MChE degree candidate at Rice University must complete at least 30 hours of courses beyond those counted for their undergraduate degree per university guidelines.
For an overview of all requirements and policies as part of the MChBE Program, go to General Announcements.
ChBE degree course requirements are as follows.
- Minimum 30 hours (10 three-credit hour) courses at 500 level or higher
- At least 24 of these hours must be at Rice University
- A grade of B- or better must be attained for all degree courses
- In accordance with university policy, students who’s GPA falls below 2.33 will be placed on academic probation
MChE students are required to take the following core graduate chemical engineering courses:
- Thermodynamics (CHBE 611)
- Mathematics (CHBE 692)
- Transport (CHBE 501, 602)
- Kinetics (CHBE 590)
In addition, approved courses from the following disciplines will count towards meeting the course requirements:
- Natural Science
- Mathematics training
Students with a non-chemical engineering undergraduate degree need to take undergraduate chemical engineering courses. These courses will not count toward the MChE degree course requirement.
Professional master’s students must meet a residency requirement. Rice General Announcements state, "Students enrolled in professional master’s programs in science and engineering may fulfill the residency requirement by completing at least one full fall or spring semester with part-time enrollment."