MChE Program FAQs

Browse these frequently asked questions for answers about applying, requirements, insurance and more:

What is the application deadline?

Applications for spring 2024 are now open. The deadline to apply is October 1, 2023. Late applications may be considered until October 16. The regular deadline for all admission is December 31 of the previous calendar year to which you wish to enter the program. Late applications may be considered until April 1 for the fall semester.

What is required for my application?

An application for graduate study should include the completed online application form, the application fee, unofficial transcripts from each university attended (once an applicant is offered admission, the department will then require an official transcript), at least three letters of recommendation, and writing samples (statement of purpose, résumé, etc). Proof of English language proficiency with a minimum score of 90/TOEFL, 7/IELTS or 115/Duolingo. Note: Rice accepts only the best composite TOEFL scores – myBest scores are not accepted.

Is there an application fee?

The application fee is $85.00. The department does not offer fee waivers.

What is the minimum GPA requirement?

Applicants should have at least a 3.0 GPA out of a 4.0 scale per Rice University policy.

What are the GRE requirements?

The CHBE department no longer requires applicants to submit GRE scores for its graduate programs.

Can I get an English Language requirement waiver?

Prospective students who have or will receive a degree from a university in which English is the official language of communication may be granted a waiver. The program reserves the right to further determine language proficiency via a personal interview (such as Skype).

May I submit supplemental materials with my application?

The application section titled “Supplemental Information” is where you can briefly describe your intended plan of study or give titles of any articles or publications you may have. You may also upload a detailed statement of purpose, CV, or other supplemental documents in the “supporting documents” section. Do not send any application material by mail. Upload all files to the online application.

Who should prepare the letters of recommendation?

Recommendations should be prepared by individuals who can attest to your abilities. These people should be former professors or academic advisers.

Is financial aid available?

Rice does not offer financial aid for the professional master's program.

Does the program accept transfer credit?

No transfer credit is allowed.

Do I need to purchase Rice University health insurance?

All Rice students are required to have health insurance. Health coverage may be purchased through the university plan or through Rice’s alternative health insurance plan. If you are covered by another policy you must fill out the medical insurance waiver. Learn more about Student Health Insurance.

What is the cost of Rice University Health Insurance?

For up to date information on insurance rates, visit Student Health Insurance's Current Rate.

When does Rice’s health insurance coverage begin?

Coverage begins by mid-August, provided your paperwork is submitted before August 15. Learn more about Student Health Insurance.

When do I register for courses?

Registration for new students begins during orientation week via Esther. Your Esther login letter will be sent from to the email address provided on your application once you’re processed. Students may register after all holds on their account are cleared. Students are advised to register after attending all orientations.

When is tuition due?

When new incoming students register during orientation week, the cashier’s office will then bill for tuition and fees. Rice University offers a payment plan that is designed to enable students to pay over the course of the semester. For more information please visit the Student Accounts and Cashier's Office.

What is the residency requirement?

A full-time graduate student must register for at least 9 credit hours each semester to fulfill the residency requirement.

Students enrolled in professional master's programs in science and engineering may fulfill the residency requirement by completing at least one full fall or spring semester with part-time enrollment (at least 3 credit hours). International students may only register as part-time in the last semester of their graduate program with the approval of the Office of International Students and Scholars. This does not affect any other degree requirements: the total number of hours required to complete the degree, the limits on transfer credit, etc. remain the same. In addition, the time-to-degree limit of five years from the time of initial enrollment remains the same.

Can I pursue a PhD at Rice ChBE after obtaining my professional master’s degree?

Admission into a professional program is granted separately from admission into a research or thesis program. Professional degree programs terminate when the degree is awarded. Students who wish to continue graduate study after completing a professional program must apply for admission into a research program.