The professional Master of Chemical Engineering (MChE) degree program at Rice University offers a non-thesis professional degree intended to better prepare students for a career in the field of chemical engineering. The curriculum is designed for recent graduates with a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering to complete in two semesters (fall and spring).
About the Curriculum
The curriculum is also designed for students with a non-chemical engineering bachelor's degree. Additional semesters are typically needed in order for the students to take the additional courses that chemical engineering bachelor's degree holders have taken (i.e., chemical engineering design and process control). Also, some courses may be recommended to the student, in preparation for the graduate-level courses, depending on the student.
Learn more about the coursework and requirements.
MChE Focus Areas
Students pursuing the MChE professional master's degree can choose from one of four focus areas:
- Fundamentals of Chemical Engineering
- Energy or Bioengineering
- Materials Science and Nanotechnology
Coordinated MBA/MChE Program
A coordinated MBA/MChE degrees program is also offered in conjunction with the Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business.
Here are some additional details for this coordinated program:
- The dual degree can be fulfilled in two (2) academic years
- Summer internships after the first academic year are strongly encouraged
- Students will plan their course schedules in consultation with Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and with the MBA program director in the Jones Graduate School of Business
- Students must be accepted by both the Jones School and the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Note that GRE scores must be submitted to the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
To learn more about the policies and requirements for the MBA/MChE Program, visit General Announcements.
How to Apply
Ready to apply? Once you've reviewed the deadlines, requirements, and prerequisites below, visit our Graduate Admissions to begin your application to Rice University.
Program & Application FAQs
Have a question about the program, curriculum or application requirements and process? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions to learn more.
Additional questions about the MChE Program may be addressed by emailing to our graduate admissions committee.